Indian TV channels and cricket have always attracted millions of NRIs and People of Indian Origin (PIO) living outside India. Whether it’s Bollywood movies or addictive “Saas-Bahu” TV soaps, or cricket, demand has increased with the increase in the number of Indian expats. To help you choose the right Indian TV package in the USA and UK, here’s an easy-to-follow guide.
Legitimate option for watching Indian TV channels outside India
Buying a subscription from a broadcaster – This is the easiest and surest way to get your favorite Indian TV channels. All you have to do is buy a subscription package from a broadcaster.
Comparing packages of broadcasters offering Indian TV channels
We have listed some of the broadcasters offering Indian TV channels in the USA and UK. Read on for our recommendations and also the costs.
- 1. USA – The top broadcasters which offer Indian TV channels in the USA are:
- a. Sling TV – Sling TV has packages starting at $25 per month ($45 for 3 months), with over 50 Hindi channels. It Is quite similar to Netflix. You can easily pick your desired channels without any fuss. The Sling TV also offers its sling apps on Smart TVs, laptops, iPhone, Desktop and on Xbox.
- b. Dish TV – Dish TV is another popular service among Indian audiences in the U.S.A. It offers over 35 channels and monthly packages range from $19.99 to $44.99 (Includes Willow cricket channel) with many add-ons. Although, you need a set-top box, a core package starting at $59.99 per month and a minimum commitment of 24 months to get this started. Regional India’s TV channel packages start at $19.99 a month.
- c. Yupp TV – Yupp TV offers various south/regional and over 90 Hindi channels to the audiences based in the USA. Its Hindi monthly package starts at $9.99 per month and annual packages at $99.99 which includes YuppFlix movies. Indian regional TV channels monthly package starts at $11.99. It works like a Netflix where you just have to buy a subscription and get started right away.
- d. Hotstar U.S.A – Hotstar, which was initially available only in India has started to expand overseas and has recently begun offering its services in U.S.A and Canada. Its monthly packages start from $9.99 with a one-month free trial. It’s only drawback could be that it only offers Star Channels which means many other popular Indian channels are not available.
- e. My Indian TV – My India TV offers more than 80 Indian Hindi and regional TV channels covering Bollywood movies, songs, daily soap drama series, news, sports etc.for You can either choose a Premium Hindi package (which includes Punjabi and sports channels) for $14.99 per month or any regional package which includes major Hindi channels for $14.99 per month.
- f. Comcast – It is the second largest pay TV company after AT&T, Comcast offers South Asian TV channels but the channels offered are limited. South Asian packages (which includes Indian TV channels) start as low as $11.99 per month
NriDealExpert’s conclusion: For the US audiences, My Indian TV is one of the better services offering Indian channels based on range of channels offered and the cost. You may consider Yupp TV if you prefer more regional content.
- 2. UK – The top broadcasters which offer Indian TV channels in the UK are:
- a. Sky TV – When it comes to Indian channels, Sky TV is top gun among all other broadcasters in the U.K. It offers more than 45 Indian channels which can be viewed online as well. Sky Packages start from £20 per month which includes all Asian channels.
- b. Virgin Media TV – Virgin offers almost all the daily soap channels like Star Plus, Zee, Sony, and Zindagi. It gives its users approximately 15 channels at a cost of £34 per month.
- c. Talk Talk TV – Talk Talk TV is considered quite good for fans of Bollywood movies. It offers over 5 channels including standard channels like Sony TV Asia, Set Max, Zee Cinema, Star Gold, Zee TV, etc. for £27.45 per month.
- d. My India TV – My India TV offers more than 80 Indian Hindi and regional TV channels covering Bollywood movies, songs, daily soap drama series, news, sports etc.for You can either choose a Premium Hindi package (which includes Punjabi and sports channels) for $14.99 (£11) per month or any regional package which includes major Hindi channels for $14.99 (£11) per month.
- e. Yupp TV – Yupp TV offers various south/regional and over 90 Hindi channels to the audiences based in the UK. Its Hindi, Punjabi, and Urdu combo package comes at £9.99 per month or £99.99 per year which includes YuppFlix movies. You can either choose any Indian regional TV channels package for £9.99 per month or a Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu and any Regional combo package for £14.99 per month. It works like a Netflix where you just have to buy a subscription and get started right away.
- f. Lebara Play – Lebara TV is highly recommended for those who are looking for Tamil content covering the latest Tamil movies, Tamil news, Tamil serials and lot more. Its monthly package starts at £7.90 and goes up to £9.99.
- g. IPTV – IPTV is also quite popular among Indian audiences based in the UK, mainly because it’s packages are relatively cheaper – £6-£7 per month for 5000+ channels. The only downside is that you can stream the content only on a single device simultaneously. If you need to connect more devices, you have to purchase another account with the same time period and you can’t purchase more than 3 connections.
NriDealExpert’s conclusion: For the UK audiences, Sky TV would be the top gun in terms of providing Indian and local content to its users. However, you need to pay extra for sports channels to watch cricket. The other option close to Sky TV would be My Indian TV as they provide a wide coverage of Indian channels including local and Indian sports channels to watch cricket. The only difference between the two is that Sky TV provides more local channels than My Indian TV does at that price. But if you’re a sports and cricket fan than My Indian TV could be your cheaper option than Sky TV. Lebara TV can also be picked if you have the desire watching Tamil shows and movies.
- 2. Netflix – Netflix has started adding some of the Indian content too. The content basically includes the daily soap drama series of India.
- 3. Official Websites – There are many Indian TV channels that upload their content daily on their official websites namely, Aajtak, NDTV, ABP news, Star Bharat, Sony TV, and many more. This may not be a bad option.
Disclaimer: Please note that it is our endeavor to provide unbiased and accurate information but cannot guarantee it to be perfect, so please do your bit of research and use the information from this article at your own risk.